Shadow Diorama Activity
Create a shadow diorama and explore light and shadows.
You Will Need:
paper / scissors / glue / pencils / torch
1. Print this box template (A3 for large boxes, A4 for small) on paper or light card
2. Flip the page over and draw a background scene on the middle square (not the side with writing on it).
Get creative –could this be a forest? A stage? A supermarket?
3. Flip the paper back over and cut around outside edges
4. Fold along lines
5. Glue tabs and stick the tabs down
6. Draw, cut out or make your own pieces (people, animals etc.) to add to the diorama
7. Use a torch to create shadows on the back wall
Using a torch create shadows on your diorama, try various angles and positions to see what effect you can make. If you have cellophane, try shining the light through to make different colours.
Take photos of the various lighting positions and piece together a colourful picture montage.
Create your own story about the world you’ve created.
O4 – Children are confident and involved learners
- Children transfer and adapt what they have learned from one context to another.
- Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
F–3 ACARA SUBJECT AREAS
English / Science / The Arts / Technologies
F–3 GENERAL CAPABILITIESLiteracy / Critical and Creative Thinking /Personal and Social